Sunday, February 1, 2009

Saga Continues

To say it has been an interesting week would be an understatement. A few of my acquaintances, who found it odd that a dealer would say his prices are "firm" decided to begin negotiations as though they were an interested party. Hence began a week long exchange of correspondence that turned into an eye-opener.

One friend in particular managed to make headway. However, the price negotiation was so negligible it was not worth the haggle. Despite holding up various other listings of the same make, model and year that were posted below the dealer's own motorcycle, he would not be swayed. Then came the insult to injury.

While checking the listing on eBay, I found several of the model I am interested in, and with shipping even came in below the dealer in my own back yard. Then when I visited the site toward the end of the week, low and behold, there was the very bike I have been trying to open conversations about! How many ways can you say "pissed!"

I wanted to blast an e-mail that very moment to the local dealer. I know only too well what it takes to list on eBay. You have listing fees, then final sales fees, and other fees associated with being a merchant on eBay. The person could have saved himself all the trouble if he had been willing to talk. I held my typing fingers in check...until Saturday morning.

In the morning, I reviewed all my facts, checked the listing again, and then typed a pointed message in response to the very last "the price is firm" message in my in-box. To my shock and amazement, the phone rang not long after that. It was the proprietor of the dealership.

He was polite and let me recount the events from my side of the fence since I sat on this bike at the show on January 25th, how much I felt insulted that he would not talk with me (a woman perhaps?) but would talk to my male friends. He listened to it all. Since he was making the effort, I listened in return.

He explained his side of the coin, and although I may take some of it with a grain of salt, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on certain points. Our conversation ended cordially, I believe, and a bit more respect for each other. In addition, he even help sooth my wounds with telling me that he will be heading to an auction this week. If he sees the make and model I'm looking at, at a good price, he will keep me in mind.

I'm calmed down for the moment. My acquaintance was quick to point out to me that I now have a dealer shopping on my behalf. Having someone on your side doing some leg work can't be all bad. The lesson too, is this. There are always two sides to every story, however, considering that the reserve price on eBay is lower than what he would negotiate with my friend, I am not going to hold my breath.

1 comment:

fasthair said...

Ms. Pat: It appears to me it is time to find a new dealer to spend your money with. This one doesn't appear to be very trust worthy in my book. If they are like this before the sell I can only imagine what they will be like once they have your money.

Ship it home? What you're not going to ride it home and bond with your new ride? Shame on you. Yes I know it's winter but still :)