StatCounter

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Holiday Interlude

It’s been more than a week since my last blog. With the Holiday season upon us, there will be fewer posts than you are accustomed to seeing from me. Holidays can be a rough time for many and I’m no exception. I stress about how to get all I need to do accomplished, keep the family happy and live up to their expectations. That last part is a tall order and emotionally draining. Over the past few years, I have attempted to reduce the expectations others have on my time. It isn’t without its turmoil. Slowly we are realizing that Mom cannot maintain Super Mom status without a price. I’ve been successful in reducing the number of items on my plate. That’s the good news.

The bad news is the family does not often take kindly to changes in their expectations. I have even heard words like “tradition” held up before me in an effort to return me to Super Mom status. Change is hard, that’s a given. In time I’m sure they will come around. It’s time for new traditions. I think we are on the right track if our Thanksgiving feast was any indication. Prepared by my youngest, with much thought and love, it was a delicious meal from the heart.

I admit that over time, I may have inadvertently created the “expectation monster” I now wish to rid from my holiday life. If you are like me, it’s important to look at what is good, and what is not so good, and be wary not to “toss the baby out with the bathwater.” It isn’t an easy task, but worth every ounce of energy if you want to have a more relaxing time ahead into the future.

Wishing you all the best this Holiday Season.

No comments: