StatCounter

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Belief

Whatever you want to achieve, have, or do in this life is only possible in direct correlation to what you believe about it. Anything. I’ve been testing this theory and am amazed at the findings. I’m doing, going and having what I want to acquire and who I want to be. In watching how I believe about a thing I am realizing too, that I am only scratching the surface of what is truly possible. In all the points I’m paying attention to in my New Year’s resolution; this is the one point that seems the hardest to accept unconditionally; all things are possible in direct correlation to what I believe about it.

In Shawn Achor’s book, The Happiness Advantage, he tells us that what we believe about our abilities are not innate, but can change. However, it is Bruce H. Lipton PH.D’s The Biology of Belief that brought things home in a profound and lasting manner. If these two people and many more like them can’t persuade you that you are your own worst enemy when faced with lack of courage, possessions or even simple happiness, then how about turning to Mark 9:23 in which Jesus admonishes us that all things are possible to those who believe. If you read carefully, he never put any restrictions on this. We are the ones that place added sentences to the end of that statement.

Don’t get me wrong, I am far from manifesting all that it is I want. I know this by the pesky background chatter that happens in my brain. Often I am listening to this chatter without even realizing its influence on my thinking. All is not lost though, as some things are so profoundly evident that even I can’t deny that if I hadn’t started talking to myself in positive ways, what I am looking at would not be there. This week, a new gas efficient vehicle will become mine. It has all the requirements I ticked off to myself before I began the search, and it doesn’t break the bank. The new commuter car with creature comforts, and gas efficiency will be mine, including the color I desire.

I’m getting pretty good at believing I can have things and go places I want to go. Believing I can figure things out, find the time off, and find the resources is becoming second nature. Where I’m falling down, is in my dealings with people. In the workplace especially we encounter personalities that we don’t quite understand and can’t figure out. In my case, it feels as if a switch is flicked in my brain and I’m seething beneath the surface. The background chatter starts. I begin putting reasons, and ulterior motives to the words and actions I’m observing around me and making them fact, when indeed I don’t have all the facts. The emotions grip and I forget to turn my thinking around to “how is it I want this to be and how can I turn it around.” Maybe all I need to do is believe that it is all in my best interest and will elevate my status within the company. Now I LIKE that thought!

While I let that take hold and sprout up like the first bulbs of spring, I’m going to continue on my quest to travel to Fort Benning for boot camp graduation of a certain someone, and then think ahead to a motorcycle trip to Sturgis in August. Do I have all the details? Certainly not, but I believe I can work it out. Now on to believing that I will be the next indispensible and well compensated member of the company team!

1 comment:

VStarLady said...

Absolutely - You need to believe!