StatCounter

Friday, February 8, 2008

Motorcycle Guardian Angels

Independent of the weather, there are signs that motorcycle season is upon us. Tomorrow will find me at the Northeast Motorcycle Expo in Boston, an event that is sure to get the adrenaline running, and have me dreaming of warm sunny days with Jade.

Each year as the riding season comes into full swing, the New England Riders begin talking about riding gear, road hazards, (sand on the roadways after snowmelt) and safety. We have many lively discussions on the forum related to these topics. What is little discussed is the variety of trinkets worn, hung or otherwise displayed on their motorcycles as extra protection or insurance for a safe riding season. You’ve seen them, the gremlin bells to ward off evil road spirits, the skulls to prove you can defy death, and the angel pins and zipper pulls. None would consider leaving home without their totem of choice.

I am not exempt when it comes to safety superstitions. I have a few of my own. I have four angels to whom I pray for protection before any sojourn on Jade. Each offers me protection in keeping with their specialty. These four angels are listed in the following categories: Cherubim and Seraphim, Cerebrum and Cerebellum.

You’re confused? You say you are familiar with Cherubim and Seraphim but feel I’m mistaken with the last two? Well certainly we know that Cherubim means “to be near” which is certainly what I want when asking for protection against roadway dangers. “Dear Lord, send your angel to be near me and keep me safe from harm.” The angel most likely to be dispatched is the Cherubim. We also are familiar with Seraphim with means "to consume with fire" which in ancient times meant to purify. How can purification keep me safe? Consider being mentally preoccupied with troubles, having just had an argument, or any other emotion that would keep one from paying attention. On a motorcycle, inattention is the surest way to injury or worse. With this in mind, I want to be cleansed of any emotional upset that would result in harm. Therefore, Seraphim is there as well to purify my heart and soul for the journey ahead.

Angels work in teams, I believe, and although Cherubim and Seraphim are good at what they do, I can’t forget about Cerebrum and Cerebellum. The first processes sensory information, reasoning and language. The second, processes body balance and muscular coordination. Without these two intact and protected, riding a motorcycle would be impossible. Cerebrum instructs me, first and foremost, to wear my helmet. Jacket and boots added for good measure. All good reasoning. Cerebellum keeps me balanced and coordinated while riding. Motorcycles do, after all, have only two wheels. Balance and coordination are paramount.

You don’t have to be a motorcyclist to have these angels in your life. Angels often manifest themselves in the most unexpected places or people. If you think carefully, I bet you can think of a few instances where the Cherubim and Seraphim were with you, and if you failed to heed your own Cerebrum and Cerebellum, someone who loves you loaned you theirs.

Ride Safe!

No comments: