StatCounter

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop

When I was young, I asked Mother what it meant when folks said “I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.” Mom explained that in the old days when many families lived in triple deckers, they would often hear the neighbor upstairs getting ready for bed. First on shoe would hit the floor….then before you could fall asleep, you would find yourself waiting for the other shoe.

These days that is how I’m living my life; waiting for the next shoe to drop. I am sure many of you are doing the same. First, it was “how much will the gas be this morning?” Then it was “how much will my retirement fund drop today?” This morning I’m checking Outlook at work. (Do I need to explain that one?) And of course, the presidential race has everyone on edge. That shoe has yet to drop. When it does, we will be holding our breath listening for a whole new set of shoes.

No comments: