StatCounter

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rocky Mountain National Park - Day 2

Day 2 was our longest day by miles, so I am blogging a short post this morning before our next adventure.

The Rocky Mountain National Park was fantastic. The roads to and from have more twisties than I have ever seen before. I am proud to say that my skill level has improved if only a bit, which made the experience that much more enjoyable. Despite Jade's carb troubles at this altitude I managed to help her up to the 11,000 feet needed to experience some of the greatest vistas in the world.

Lee's friends Rich and Brian joined us for this day and we enjoyed their company. You can see a group photo at the end of the slide show. Since I have limited time this morning I will only cover the highlights.

The route Lee planned for us had so much scenic wonder that if we had the time I would have stopped and photographed each and every spot. However, Barb is a passenger and i witnessed her taking photographs and video as well. I hope to share some of these at a later date.

At the summit in the park we watched a herd of elk travel up the mountain side. The photo is in the slide show, in the upper left. Had we known that just down the road there was another herd closer to us, that is the photo I would have taken.

Our funniest animal experience is when we had to come to a complete stop for a herd of cattle in the road. They just stood their with a strange expression on their faces as if to say "what? we were here first!" Andy rode ahead and sounding like one of the cowboys out of the old west films, hollered "Ya Ya!" and finally the stolled on their way.

It was a long day and we were all exhausted at the end. However, the rain we had on the way back to the motel seems to have departed and I am looking forward to more great riding today.


No comments: