StatCounter

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Halloween Trick on Readers

This morning, as I sipped my coffee and thumbed through the newspaper, I came across some recipes in the food section that astounded me. They were recipes you could use for leftover Halloween candy. “Leftover Halloween Candy” is an oxymoron, isn't it? I personally, have never experience “leftover” Halloween Candy. Leftover apples and bags of popcorn? Sure! Candy? Never!


I was intrigued by this phenomenon I new nothing about and read on to learn more. I read two of the recipes. One was for candy bar cookies and the other was for peppermint patty brownies. Both sounded like tasty treats I might enjoy. Then my eye spied the note about caramels. “Melt caramels and drizzle over sliced apples.” Now there is a suggestion I could have used when I was a kid. It would have saved me from all those rotten apples under my bed. My sister would have appreciated this too, as she wasn’t too happy the day I presented my caramel to her in the schoolyard, with my molar imbedded in the center. That melted caramel idea would have been handy for popcorn too. Just imagine the great popcorn balls I could have made from all those bags of popcorn that I eventually fed to the birds.


As I continued on, my coffee mug poised mid sip, there before my eyes were suggestions for candy corn and Peeps! My eyebrows raised in disbelief. No one ever has leftover Peeps! While I was trying to “swallow” that one, I spied the next section of the food page. There before my eyes was a recipe for “Mild Mexican.” Another oxymoron or just a work of fiction? I decided today’s food section was the newspaper’s version of “trick” just in time for Halloween. There is no other explanation that makes sense to me.

No comments: